Job Title: Staff Accountant
Reports To: Controller
CLARE Foundation is a nonprofit organization providing compassionate treatment and recovery services for alcoholism and substance abuse to individuals, families, and the community.
Summary: This position is responsible for assisting the Controller and other Staff in preparing financial statements and organizing, preparing, logging, maintaining, updating and monitoring company accounting files.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Handle Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Payroll processing.
- View cash disbursement checks and supporting invoices before sending to the Controller for approval.
- Assist in the development, standardization, and implementation of effective policies and procedures for the Finance department to assure optimal performance of the department.
- Increase process efficiencies, streamline processes and related analyses, and provide recommendations to the Controller.
- Ensure compliance with internal controls and Accounting policies and procedures.
- Post and reconcile the General Ledger and subsidiary accounts.
- Post payroll, cash disbursements and adjusting entries.
- Post month-end journal entries: administrative, facilities and depreciation allocations.
- Preparation of analytical and cost accounting reports.
- Provide analysis, data, reports, and other fiscally relevant information when required.
- Forecast revenue, expenditures, and year-end balances by department and agency budget.
- Review and provide daily cash management reporting to the Controller.
- Maintain accounting records for grants, HUD entities, and fixed assets.
- Prepare monthly Bank Reconciliations and post GL adjusting entries as necessary.
- Provide monthly oversight of client money and reconcile client P&I accounts.
- File annual Property Tax Welfare Exemption application.
- Provide and assist in the agency’s annual independent financial audit; by preparing schedules, worksheets and any other required documentation that is needed by an auditor(s).
- Preparation and reconciliation of health benefits.
- Closely monitor financial performance of the organization and develop action plans to correct any negative variances.
- Develops and delivers quality projects from inception to close-out on time and within scope and budget.
- Participate in the development of the Agency Budget and participate in Strategic planning.
- Maintain current working knowledge of DMH/DHS/DSS regulations as it relates to finance. This includes government rules and regulations and other key factors impacting practices.
- Perform ad-hoc financial analysis and special projects as assigned or required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function successfully. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Four-year degree (Bachelor’s degree) in accounting or similar discipline required;
- Certified Public Accountant license preferred;
- Three to five years related accounting experience, with specific experience in analyzing and reconciling general ledger accounts;
- Knowledgeable in generally accepted accounting principles;
- Ability to meet assigned deadlines;
- Proficient in Excel and other Microsoft Office applications;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Systems oriented, organized with excellent follow-up skills;
- Able to plan and manage multiple projects; and
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described essential functions.
This job will be primarily located at the CLARE Foundation’s offices in Santa Monica, CA. While performing the responsibilities of the job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the job holder will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
CLARE Foundation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. CLARE does not discriminate because of gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, age or physical, mental or sensory challenges. No qualified applicant will be denied employment sole on the basis of having or not having a prior history of alcoholism or other drug addiction.
A competitive compensation package is offered with full benefits, 403 (b) plan and paid vacation. Salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com and list “Staff Accountant” in the subject line.