Job Title: Staff Accountant
Reports To: Controller
CLARE Foundation is a nonprofit organization providing compassionate treatment and recovery services for alcoholism and substance abuse to individuals, families, and the community.
Summary: This position is responsible for assisting the Controller and other Staff in preparing financial statements and organizing, preparing, logging, maintaining, updating and monitoring company accounting files.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Handle Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Payroll processing.
- View cash disbursement checks and supporting invoices before sending to the Controller for approval.
- Assist in the development, standardization, and implementation of effective policies and procedures for the Finance department to assure optimal performance of the department.
- Increase process efficiencies, streamline processes and related analyses, and provide recommendations to the Controller.
- Ensure compliance with internal controls and Accounting policies and procedures.
- Post and reconcile the General Ledger and subsidiary accounts.
- Post payroll, cash disbursements and adjusting entries.
- Post month-end journal entries: administrative, facilities and depreciation allocations.
- Preparation of analytical and cost accounting reports.
- Provide analysis, data, reports, and other fiscally relevant information when required.
- Forecast revenue, expenditures, and year-end balances by department and agency budget.
- Review and provide daily cash management reporting to the Controller.
- Maintain accounting records for grants, HUD entities, and fixed assets.
- Prepare monthly Bank Reconciliations and post GL adjusting entries as necessary.
- Provide monthly oversight of client money and reconcile client P&I accounts.
- File annual Property Tax Welfare Exemption application.
- Provide and assist in the agency’s annual independent financial audit; by preparing schedules, worksheets and any other required documentation that is needed by an auditor(s).
- Preparation and reconciliation of health benefits.
- Closely monitor financial performance of the organization and develop action plans to correct any negative variances.
- Develops and delivers quality projects from inception to close-out on time and within scope and budget.
- Participate in the development of the Agency Budget and participate in Strategic planning.
- Maintain current working knowledge of DMH/DHS/DSS regulations as it relates to finance. This includes government rules and regulations and other key factors impacting practices.
- Perform ad-hoc financial analysis and special projects as assigned or required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function successfully. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Four-year degree (Bachelor’s degree) in accounting or similar discipline required;
- Certified Public Accountant license preferred;
- Three to five years related accounting experience, with specific experience in analyzing and reconciling general ledger accounts;
- Knowledgeable in generally accepted accounting principles;
- Ability to meet assigned deadlines;
- Proficient in Excel and other Microsoft Office applications;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Systems oriented, organized with excellent follow-up skills;
- Able to plan and manage multiple projects; and
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with subject line “Staff Accountant”.