Job Title: Counselor II (Substance Use/Mental Health)
Reports To: Program Director/Manager (or designee)
CLARE Foundation is a nonprofit organization providing cost-efficient, effective and compassionate treatment, recovery and prevention services for alcoholism, substance abuse and behavioral health treatment to individuals, families and the community.
Summary: Under supervision, partners with consumers/families with mental illness and/or substance abuse to achieve recovery; develops, delivers, and evaluates recovery focused mental health and case management services; participates in individual, family, and group counseling; and advocates for decreasing stigma associated with mental illness and/or substance abuse.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Work in collaboration with Behavioral Health Clinician (Therapist) on treatment plan goals
- Group Facilitation
- Provide weekly case management sessions related to treatment plan in collaboration with Behavioral Health Clinician
- File compliance ensuring contractual guidelines and CLARE standards are upheld
- Collaborative team work
- Ensure client files are upheld and managed to contractual and CLARE standards
- Conduct goal oriented case management sessions with caseload clients
- Conduct group counseling and educational sessions
- Act as a client advocate and assist clients with problem solving
- Provide appropriate referrals, following up on all referrals and interventions to ensure that the client has access to designated services.
- Provide crisis intervention and emotional support to clients when appropriate
- Maintain contact with each client as required by contract and program guidelines
- Maintain accurate and up to date information in each client’s chart and document client contact by using the EHR system
- Advocate with primary care providers to ensure access to quality treatment and/or care in collaboration with Behavioral Health Clinician
- Supervise residents in coordination of daily program activities
- Assure that all emergency needs of residents are met and these incidents are reported as required
- Respond appropriately to emergencies including contacting appropriate staff and supervisor(s), interacting with police, fire, and medical personnel as needed.
- Maintain open, complete, and accurate verbal and written communications with all staff and residents
- Attend and actively participate in case conferences, related training, and collaborative relationships between CLARE and established partners
Knowledge, Experience & Skills:
The ideal candidate will have counseling experience in a substance abuse treatment center setting.
Certification as AOD Counselor is required. In addition the following are strongly desired/required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a field related to Behavioral Health (preferred)
- At least one (1) year experience working with mental health clients.
- 2 years’ experience working in the Substance Abuse treatment field.
- Demonstrable crisis intervention skills
- Excellent organizational, verbal, written, and counseling skills
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described essential functions.
This job will be primarily located at the CLARE Foundation’s offices in Santa Monica, CA. While performing the responsibilities of the job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the job holder will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
A competitive compensation package, including company sponsored medical coverage, is offered with full benefits, 403 (b) plan and paid vacation. Salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com and list “Certified AOD Counselor” in the subject line.
CLARE Foundation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. CLARE does not discriminate because of gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, age or physical, mental or sensory challenges. No qualified applicant will be denied employment sole on the basis of having or not having a prior history of alcoholism or other drug addiction.