Reports To: Billing Manager
About the CLARE Foundation: The CLARE Foundation is a nonprofit organization providing effective and compassionate treatment, recovery, and prevention services for alcoholism and substance abuse to individuals, families, and the community.
Summary: The Billing Assistant supports the activities of the Billing Manager by ensuring services are accurately billed, posted, filed, and up to date.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Verification of Benefits Process, assist with communicating with admissions final results
- The use of coded data to produce and submit claims
- Working directly with Ins. Companies to get claim status
- Reviewing claims
- Collections on unpaid accounts
- Filling documents for all departments
- Limited administrative support
- Support the medical billing department by providing a continuous care thought-out CLARE
- Support admissions, clinical, programs, and finance collection in treatment services provided
- Daily tasks and help manage workflow of intake prep and/or insurance verification teams ensuring performance standards are met
- Serve as the point of contact for all questions or issues related to intake and insurance verifications
- Provide reports, statistics, and status to billing manager
- Assist in development and implementation of training manuals
- Perform quality audits
- Identify gaps or improvements in processes, recommend solutions, and assist with the implementations of changes
- Manage workload effectively to ensure department is meeting performance standards
- Build relationships with client, client’s financial responsible party, and insurance provider when necessary regarding assignment of benefits, pay-to-payer follow-up, or other pertinent insurance communication for payment
- Prepare billing file for each client and maintain
- Collaborate with billing manager to follow-up medical records by requesting to each department and making copies
- Direct communication with each department to gather weekly accurate attendance to bill
- Maintain weekly census for insured clients for each department
- Help maintain billing sheets as needed
- Make phone calls to primary insureds for payment status and collections
- Engage and follow-up with insurance every 4 weeks for payment status
- Provide billing manager at by weekly report monthly report on what has been billed, what has been collected, what is pending, and denied
- Coordinate with program coordinators on obtaining UA testing information and bills for UA testing
- Administrative support as needed
Knowledge, Experience & Skills:
The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of the insurance landscape with experience in medical office, biller, coder, and office assistance. In addition the following are strongly desired:
- A commitment to and passion for the mission, vision, and values of the CLARE Foundation
- Experience in insurance, billing sales, Medical/Medicare and collections
- Strong customer service skills and quality assurance
- Familiarity with payers and prior authorization requirements
- An ability to lead in an environment that requires effective collaboration
- Preferred experience working in a medical or behavioral health setting for an insurance billing department
- Strong knowledge of excel
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a related field
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described essential functions.
This job will be primarily located at the CLARE Foundation’s offices in Santa Monica, CA. While performing the responsibilities of the job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the job holder will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
A competitive compensation package is offered with full benefits, 403(b) plan and paid vacation. Salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com and list “Billing Assistant” in the subject line.